Multi-layer and single-layer films
Low-coherence profilometers deliver fast and reliable non-contact thickness measurements of single-layer and multi-layer films – with precision better than 1 µm.
Materials may be reflective or nonreflective, smooth or rough, stationary or moving. See more on what we can measure.
Advantages of inspecting with fiber-based probes
|Because Novacam profilometersscan surfaces with fiber-based optical probes, they offer significant advantages.
Example of multi-layer thickness measurement
High-grade polymer tubing, such as medical catheter tubing, must be closely monitored during extrusion so that dimensions continuously adhere to tight specifications. With the low-coherence profilometer probe positioned right at the extruder exit (diagram on the right), the tubing cross-section is actuired continuously and an efficient production control loop is established:
Continuous inspection cuts down on extruder down-time, reduces material waste, and lowers overall production costs.
Probe multiplexing for additional ROI
Several fiber-based probes can be multiplexed to a single detector for simultaneous thickness measurements on different aspects of a production line.
For example, the tube inspection setup above can be extended by adding a second probe at the extruder exit (diagram on the right). In this way, the operator is able to monitor tube dimensions along two axes continuously, achieving even greater quality control with minimal extra investment.
Thickness measurement applications
Low-coherence profilometers acquire thicknesses in a range of domains:
- Opthalmology: inspection of regular or intraocular contact lenses
- Semi-conductors: coating on MEMS devices, semiconductors, hybrid circuits, fuel and solar cells
- Aviation and automotive: protective films
- Optical: etching and deposition thickness on waveguides
- Electronics: thick film photoresist coating on electronic wafers
- Bio-medical: coatings which protect devices from corrosion or patients from complications
- Others: conformal coating, protective tool coating, vacuum coating
- For more details and examples, see application note Multi-Layer Thickness Measurement with Low-coherence Interferometry [PDF, 0.2 MB].
- For our products, see Novacam profilometers.
- Back to Applications Menu