|Low-coherence profilometers deliver fast, reliable, and non-contact 3D surface measurements – with precision better than 1 µm. Surfaces are rapidly characterized in terms of shape, roughness, flatness, waviness, and other surface qualities.
Surfaces can be reflective or nonreflective, smooth or rough, stationary or moving. See more on what we can measure.
Advantages of inspecting with fiber-based probes
|Because Novacam profilometers scan surfaces with fiber-based optical probes, they offer significant advantages:
Cost-effective in-line inspection
Fiber-based probes help integrate inspection directly into production process. They are typically mounted
- above a continuously moving web
- adjacent to a rotating part (cylinder, shaft, etc.)
- inside a machining centre
- in hard-to-reach spaces (inside bores, tubes, crevices) where continuous roughness inspection is needed
With continuous monitoring and real-time feedback on a manufacturing or coating process, roughness variations and out-of-spec characteristics are identified promptly to prevent or minimize losses and to preserve yields.
Probe multiplexing for additional ROI
Several probes can be multiplexed to a single detector for simultaneous surface roughness measurements on different aspects of a production line.
- For more details and application examples of roughness measurement with low-coherence profilometers, see application note Surface Characterization and Roughness Measurement [PDF, 0.3 MB]
- For our products, see Novacam profilometers, CMMs and Tube Scanner.
- Back to Applications Menu