|Low-coherence profilometers deliver fast, reliable, and non-contact 3D surface measurements – with precision better than 1 µm. Surfaces are rapidly characterized in terms of shape, roughness, flatness, waviness, and other surface qualities.|
Surfaces can be reflective or nonreflective, smooth or rough, stationary or moving. See more on what we can measure.
Advantages of inspecting with fiber-based probes
|Because Novacam profilometers scan surfaces with fiber-based optical probes, they offer significant advantages:|
Cost-effective in-line inspection
Fiber-based probes help integrate inspection directly into production process. They are typically mounted
- above a continuously moving web
- adjacent to a rotating part (cylinder, shaft, etc.)
- inside a machining centre
- in hard-to-reach spaces (inside bores, tubes, crevices) where continuous roughness inspection is needed
With continuous monitoring and real-time feedback on a manufacturing or coating process, roughness variations and out-of-spec characteristics are identified promptly to prevent or minimize losses and to preserve yields.
Probe multiplexing for additional ROI
Several probes can be multiplexed to a single detector for simultaneous surface roughness measurements on different aspects of a production line.
- For more details and application examples of roughness measurement with low-coherence profilometers, see application note Surface Characterization and Roughness Measurement [PDF, 0.3 MB]
- For our products, see Novacam profilometers.
- Back to Applications Menu